Using the Auvi-Q

14 May

Last night I used the Auvi-Q for the first time. If you did not read my first post about the Auvi-Q, you can check it out here: http://behindthereaction.com/2013/02/03/auvi-q/. I had been asked if I or anyone I know has used their Auvi-Q yet and I have not yet heard of anyone using it. So because I am always looking out for my lovely readers I shall inform you about my experience using it! I know what you are thinking…Natalie you live such an exciting life! Well, what can I say? Having idiopathic anaphylaxis is quite the party.

If you have used the trainer you know it says something like “this is just a training device.” The real one was very similar to the trainer with what steps it walks you through. I noticed I sometimes have a difficult time getting the red tab off the trainer, but did not notice it with the real one. Another perk to the Auvi-Q is you do not have to wait for it to finish talking. I didn’t listen to the entire part about pulling off the tab, I just did it. I really liked the feeling of setting it against my leg and then pressing it in. For me, this felt more comfortable than the ol’ swing and jab of the Epi-Pen. I did the Auvi-Q through my jeans, but they were thin jeans and it went through just fine. Now it may all be in my head, but I thought the Auvi-Q was a little more painful than the Epi-Pen. It still was nothing horrible, but definitely noticeable.

After using the Auvi-Q it still fit back into the case almost perfectly. I don’t really know how, but maybe Sanofi is using magic. At first this seemed confusing because at the ER I couldn’t tell which had been used and which was still unused. When I pulled the used one out it tells you something along the lines of “this device has been used and cannot be used again. Please take to nearest medical office for proper disposal.”

Pros:

-VERY easy to use

-I love the place and poke instead of swing and jab

Cons:

-I want the world to know about this product and still not many people do. No one at the ER had seen or heard of the Auvi-Q. The doctor even took it to go show all of his colleagues. I am okay using it myself, but until more emergency personnel know about it, I will still be carrying my Epi-Pens. I can’t remember if I have mentioned this, but after my last reaction the paramedics and firemen all had no idea what it was and said during an emergency they would not consider that it may be an auto-injector.

Overall, I would definitely use the Auvi-Q again and I still love the size and convenience of it!

Has anyone else used the Auvi-Q or had experience with it? I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions/questions!

About these ads

34 Responses to “Using the Auvi-Q”

1. Courtney May 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Wait, so were you having an anaphylactic reaction and had to use it, or you just tested it?! lol!

Great review, thanks for posting!! I also like the idea of placing it on the leg and ejecting it that way instead of the swing and release.

2. Aggie May 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Oh, wow! Sorry you had a reaction, but I’m glad you’re OK. I wonder if you feel the poke more with the Auvi-Q, because you aren’t slamming it into you leg like the epi, so there’s no distraction from the poke.

3. GIna May 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This is very helpful!!! I will be sure to share this.

4. Katrina May 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

This is great to know. My 8 y.o. has started carrying them. I brought the trainer to his school and demonstrated it to his teacher, principal and nurse. His school nurse had received a trainer from the manufacturer and she went with the principal and demonstrated it for all the specialists and lunch aides. I wouldn’t send it with him until I was sure that they all recognized it. I don’t think it will take long before they are very common. Such a great form factor. (Sorry you had to use it though…)

• Behind the Reaction May 14, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

That is incredible that your nurse has everyone trained! I know for me, being in college, I don’t have the same people always around which can be scary. My friends have seen and know how to use the Auvi-Q, but if I were ever by myself (like I was yesterday) I still feel more comfortable having both just in case. I agree that I don’t think it will be long before they become very common!

5. Vivian May 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

My 13 year old son loves carrying the Auvi-Q. We live in Los Angeles. First responders here will not use an epinephrine auto injector anyway. They give an injection of epineprine with a syringe. So it doesn’t matter about them recognizing it. But my sons’ friends like it much more than the Epi-pen. So I am happy.

6. Alexandra May 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

I was just with a new allergist for my daughter, she took it out and gave me the overview. It seems very easy to use – I’m sure my 9 year old would rather carry this then the other larger version. Great review. Thanks!

• Behind the Reaction May 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

I am glad you liked the Auvi -Q! Just make sure you still carry two doses. It really is a wonderful product!

7. Michele May 26, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Maybe take it to your local ambulance corps and offer to introduce it? : ) They (and you) might be grateful in the end.

8. F. Phillips June 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Thanks for the review! By the way, the Epi does not need to be ‘swung and jabbed’. We all practiced under the watchful eye of Dr. Atkins and all you need to do is hold the Epi against your leg and press.

• Susan Oakley September 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

The Epipen directions are very specific about “swinging and pushing” into the outer thigh so I don’t think it’s wise to instruct people otherwise :(

9. Jen September 4, 2013 at 10:32 am #

There is a lithium battery in the Auvi Q. And must be disposed of properly. Doctor offices and pharmacies will to not accept it. If not sent to a household hazardous wastes facility and just thrown in the garbage the lead, copper in the battery will seep into the ground and then get into the water supply. Anyone who wants to save our environment should seriously consider not using an Auvi Q

• Tara September 4, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Jen, if it’s going to give me a better chance of saving my daughter’s life during an anaphylactic reaction, I will seriously consider using it…. I can worry about the environment after.

• Karen October 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

This is false. Physicians offices and hospitals most certainly do accept it and it goes into a sharps container. The company even offers special sharps containers for the devices if requested.

• Frances Phillips October 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Not sure if this was mentioned as one of the differences between the Epi and the Auvi: the Epi has a little ‘control’ window; if the fluid is clear and the Epi not expired, you can use the Epi. The Auvi does not have a window so all you can go by is the expiration date.

• Behind the Reaction October 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

The Auvi-Q does actually have a window to see the liquid, but you must take the cover off to be able to see it.

• Frances Phillips October 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Thx. for comment about window on Auvi-Q. Neither I nor our allergist knew this.

• Aggie October 26, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Frances, just because the fluid in your epi is clear doesn’t mean it’s good. They have done studies where epi pens were frozen and heated repeatedly for brief periods and the liquid stayed clear. When they looked at the medication they found the efficacy of the drug was compromised. The medications color only changed after it spent many many hours out of the recommended temperature range. If you know your epi has been out of the temperature ranges for any length of time you really should replace it.

• FP November 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

That’s scary!  Do you think that might have been the reason behind the oh-so-terribly-tragic death of Natalia Giorgi?  Her parents (one is a physician) did all the right things.  Benadryl, 3 epipens….

• Behind the Reaction November 5, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

I think a big factor in that reaction was the delayed use of Epinephrine. If I remember correctly they didn’t administer epi for over twenty minutes.

• Cindy Stewart December 26, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

screw a safe environment while you are in the process of DYING from anaphyaxis..that last thing on my mind is my family when experiencing an attack..not the freaking environment..wow..

10. Jen September 5, 2013 at 7:57 am #

EpiPen has been saving lives for over 25 years. I’m sure it will continue to do so without hurting our water supply.

11. Cyndi Cocci September 19, 2013 at 7:13 am #

We recently went to a wonderful allergy event put on by Kids with Food Allergies http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/about
    which held a fundraising walk, to promote food allergy awareness and advocacy, family entertainment and activities.

While there, they had a representative from both Epi-Pen and Auvi-Q.

When we got to the table with the Auvi-Q representative, he demonstrated the device and my 10 year old daughter saw that this was more of a “stamp” than a “jab” and therefore openly said, “mom, I won’t be afraid next time I think I need this, even if I don’t get a major reaction, I know it’s better to get the medicine and go to the er for them to make the decision if I’m okay!”

This can save her life by NOT being afraid of being “jabbed”!

The reason it probably hurt more for you, is unlike the EpiPen, this is a split second injection, in through the skin, back to the device, so it’s probably more forceful. The rep explained that is the major difference between the administration of the epinephrine as it tells you to wait only 5 seconds, but in reality, unlike the administration of the Epi-pen, there is no real reason you must wait, as it’s instantaneous, which means, less mess up with the average person! But the FDA made them put a time on it to compare to the Epi as a safeguard attempt only.

My 10 year old daughter is petite with a severe, anaphylaxis milk allergy, she carries 2 Epi-pens everywhere she goes, all the time in a purse outside of school and a special red, emergency bag at school. I have taken my EpiPens in for demonstration purposes and watched as the school nurse herself, “swung and jabbed” into a firm orange. She went right through it! If that had been my petite child’s leg,…well, let’s just say we all cringed and my poor daughter watched in horror!
    It took time to demonstrate that EpiPen successfully, as the trainer is difficult and my daughter gets bruises on her leg when trying to practice, which has her scared! We as adults know that is can be “scary” to inject a child. When there has been a “near accident”,( but unsure of true accidental exposure) and I get that kit out ready for any minute to need it, she convinced me she was okay and had not serious symptoms that needed the Epi.
    Later, after the whole scare, she told me truthfully, she was scared to tell me how itchy her throat was becoming and made the symptoms less than she was experiencing. WE WERE LUCKY! This wasn’t a major accidental ingestion, and although she SHOULD have gotten the Epi and er to be monitored, she only had a trace of the allergen (somehow, and we still don’t know how!) and it passed without major symptoms.
    Yes, I know what you all are thinking, as I re-live that event, I was stupid and gambled with my own emotions with being scared of “hurting her” with that device (and we’ve had discussion since to always tell the truth!).

So, for our family, she is now educating her friends and family and school of the benefits of this life saving device, Auvi-Q. I still carry 2 Epi’s with me as back ups, like I’ve always done, for the ambulance, etc., but she can feel confident about her Auvi-Q device and will not hesitate to use it.

12. Cristy October 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

We just filled our first Auvi Q prescription. My daughter was diagnosed with severe peanut and tree nut allergies 1 1/2 years ago. I am thankful for the easy to follow instructions and will train any caregiver with the Auvi Q instead of the Epi pen.

• Behind the Reaction October 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

How old is your daughter? Let me know what you think of the Auvi-Q! I hope you love it!

13. Angela October 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Our son’s prescription for an Epi-pen was just denied by our insurance, and Auvi-Q is our only option. Thank you for this post. I truly appreciate it.

• Behind the Reaction October 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Wow. I am surprised they allowed Auvi-Q, but not Epi-Pen. How old is your son?

• Tara October 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Epi-pen was $273 with our insurance. The Auvi-Q was only $33 with insurance. I was shocked too. I haven’t had to use it (knock on wood) but I like it much much better.

• Tara October 30, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

My daughter :-) turned 3 in August.

14. Lisa November 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

There is currently a coupon on the Sanofi website that you can use to get Auvi-Q’s for free, in most cases. Basically, the coupon reimburses you for your co-pay up to $100 per device. Coupon expires 12/31 and can be used multiple times before the xpiration date.

• Tara November 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

I actually just picked my daughters Rx today for only $20. The pharmacy found a coupon online. As I stated previously, I was paying almost $300 for the epi pen.

15. Cindy Stewart December 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I am trying not to be completely disgusted at “Jen’s” comment concerning the environment…maybe she should have to experience an attack- then lets hear her remarks concering her near death episode..wonder if a clean water supply will be thought of..and moreso, how many products are made today that use lithium batteries ??

16. Mike January 25, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

I used my Auvi-Q recently.
    I also did it through my jeans, and I liked the press mechanism better than the jab mechanism of EpiPen.
    I had a similar experience at the ER and with paramedics, not knowing what it was. So I took the opportunity to demo the unused one and let them each hold it an put in a pocket.
    The response was overwhelmingly positive.